KUSA / KTVD-TV, 9NEWS Denver is home to employees who demonstrate an urgent, passionate and unmatched commitment to lead and revolutionize information delivery across all platforms. We are looking for anAssignment Editor to join our fast-paced and dynamic newsroom. This position is responsible for content generation and management as well as monitoring phones, scanners and social media and gathering information about ongoing stories and breaking news. The ideal candidate will contribute to all platforms, maintaining a presence on social media, creating unique digital content and shooting and writing stories for broadcast.
- Reviews all news releases, monitors police and fire scanners, and checks Twitter, Facebook and other local news sources for story ideas
- Looks for new, innovative ways to deliver information relevant to viewers
- Develops and assigns news stories of the day and plans large news event coverage
- Deals with time and logistics to make sure the selected stories are covered efficiently with available staff
- Contributes to multiple platforms on a daily basis including writing for the web site, writing for newscasts, creating graphics, shooting and editing video
- Makes calls to maintain relationships with local agencies like police departments, courts, etc.
- Contacts news management in the event of significant breaking news that requires additional resources or would require interrupting regular programming
- Minimum 1 year newsroom experience; College degree in journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Excellent people management skills
- Strong communication skills, conflict management and customer service skills
- Strong organizational skills in a fast paced environment and deadline driven environment
- Requires sound news judgment, the ability to work under tight deadlines and in stressful situations
- Must be able to multitask and comfortable with new technology
- Must understand basic setup of Satellite and Microwave technology and be prepared to assist with tuning in live shots and feeds
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA), formerly Gannett Co., Inc., is comprised of a dynamic portfolio of media and digital businesses that provide content that matters and brands that deliver. TEGNA reaches more than 90 million Americans and delivers highly relevant, useful and smart content, when and how people need it, to make the best decisions possible. TEGNA Media includes 46 television stations (including those serviced by TEGNA) and is the largest independent station group of major network affiliates in the top 25 markets, reaching approximately one-third of all television households nationwide. TEGNA Digital is comprised of Cars.com, the leading online destination for automotive consumers, CareerBuilder, a global leader in human capital solutions, and other powerful brands such as G/O Digital and Sightline Media Group. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA, Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.