ATA Services, Inc. is hiring a full time contract on-site GIS/Metadata Specialist for a position at our Denver, CO client facility. The Metadata Specialist will support the U.S. Geological Survey's National Geospatial Technical Operations Center (NGTOC), National Geospatial Program (NGP) by preparing or converting metadata for data produced within the agency. Will work with data producers in other parts of the USGS and with organizations outside this agency to fully document the data to be published by USGS in compliance with the Federal Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata (CSDGM), International Standards Organization (ISO) metadata, and other standards as appropriate. Develops draft pilot ISO metadata profiles for vector (such as Hydrography) and raster (such as Elevation) data. Identify new metadata content required by ISO standards that is not available from conversion of FGDC CSDGM metadata. Prepare summary documentation for use by a non-technical audience. Test metadata server website for functionality and correct ingestion of metadata files. Creates draft and final copies of technical metadata documentation for geospatial data users. Creates draft and final copies of general documentation for a public audience. Prepares and maintains a metadata template for use by others who prepare documentation for use by the USGS and supplemental instructions to assist in metadata preparation outside the USGS. Will correspond with data and metadata users and contributors.
Required skills, knowledge and experience
* Experience with tools and techniques for data normalization, mapping, and transformation.
* Experience in the application and usage of general or domain metadata schemas for organizing and managing information.
* Understanding of information management concepts such as controlled vocabularies, authority control, data modeling, and schema design.
* Good organizational skills and an aptitude for complex analytical and detailed work; ability to prioritize among multiple concurrent projects to meet deadlines in a timely manner.
* Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to present and share ideas effectively.
Additional desired skills
* Functional knowledge of data management in a data warehouse environment.
* Strong analytical skills in analyzing data movement between systems and transformation logic.
* Strong aptitude for understanding system capabilities.
* Experience with linked data, Resource Description Framework (RDF) and semantic web technologies.
* Experience with entity matching or reconciliation to linked data vocabularies.
* Experience with open source communities.
* Familiarity with the process of developing and implementing new tools or services.
Education Training and Experience
* Bachelor's degree in GIS, Computer Science, Geography or equivalent.
* Experience: 3+ years in the GIS field. Using MapInfo, ArcGIS, Esri related products.
Please apply by sending your resume by April 26, 2019. ATA Services, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.