This position is responsible for assisting Extruder Operators to manufacture foam plastic and other materials using established standards and practices under close supervision.
Essential Job Responsibilities and Duties:
* Assists Extruder Operators in extruding thermoplastic and other materials.
* Tapes ends of extruded articles onto reel spindles and starts machines that wind material onto revolving spindles.
* Measures extruded articles with measuring wheels and cuts to specified lengths.
* Removes rolls or coils from spindles.
* Feeds scrap materials into mill to grind for reprocessing.
* May mix thermoplastic materials and pigments according to formula for extrusion feeding machines.
* May load materials into hopper.
* Transports roll stock
* Records sample size, weight, carton numbers and specific instructions.
* Pack completed product after it has been inspected.
* Performs routine housekeeping functions on machine and in work area.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
* Promotes worker safety by:
o Actively assesses activities on a constant basis to ensure no unsafe actions or results will occur.
o Stressing safe working practices as a condition of employment to associates.
o Assisting in audits of employee behaviors to ensure compliance with safety rules and guidelines, as well as housekeeping audits and surveys.
o Participating actively on the plant-wide safety team.
o Ensuring the housekeeping in the immediate and surrounding work area is maintained or improved to the highest level possible.
* Ensures Quality products and processes are maintained by:
o Understanding and supporting both quality policies and the Quality System.
o Performing work at a level that ensures quality of this positions work meets or exceeds internal and external customer specifications.
o Identifying and correcting if possible any identified quality issues both in the department and plant as a whole.
o Participating in system or quality based training provided by the company or recommended by the company
* Actively participates in the continuous improvement process (CIP) by:
o Identifying and addressing any opportunities to reduce cost, improve product/process and/or improve overall operations
o Participating in CIP teams to eliminate problems, streamline operations or other areas as defined by management
o Participating in CIP training and exercises designed to expand the potential for continuous improvement.
* Non-Essential Duties: Performs other duties that may be assigned.
Job Qualifications, Equipment and/or Experience:
* Exposure to a production/manufacturing organization preferred
* Understanding of machine function and process capability, preferred
* Able to work with supervisors to increase safety, quality and efficiency
* Ability to add and subtract three digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's
* Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance and ability to read a ruler
Education, Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
High School graduate, GED certification and/or equivalent experience
Language Skills: Basic English communication skills. Ability to understand safety rules and regulations, work orders, operating procedures and training materials. Ability legibly complete reports. Ability to understand and follow verbal instructions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; bend; crouch; reach; kneel, crawl, use hands & fingers; talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 75 pounds and push round rolls with varying weights of 140-600 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Ambient temperature can be as high as 110 degrees during summer months.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually high. Must be GMP compliant with gowning and proper attire/uniforms (i.e., head/shoe/beard covers and eye protection) where required. May be required to wear ear plugs.
The job duties, physical demands and work environment characteristics described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.