Oportun (formerly Progreso Financiero) is a mission-driven, financial services company that uses advanced data analytics to provide responsible credit to underserved Hispanic communities. Oportun’s technology determines every applicant’s ability to
In recognition of Oportun’s primary goals of increasing economic opportunity for its clients, promoting community development, and serving low-income or underserved communities, Oportun was certified by the United States Department of Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution in November 2009 and was recertified in October 2013.
The market opportunity for Oportun is large and growing, with an estimated 23 million Hispanics in the U.S. who are underserved by mainstream financing institutions, mainly due to a lack of established credit files, credit scores, and relevant products.
Since its founding in 2005, the company has made more than 1,000,000 loans, disbursing over US$2.0 billion largely to underserved Hispanic individuals. We strongly believe in building a great business while also achieving social good, and seek to hire people who share our values.Responsibilities:
We are building a world-class team of fun, entrepreneurial Data Scientists who want to innovate, truly help people, and build a great company. Be part of the team responsible for developing and enhancing Oportun’s core intellectual property used in scoring risk and managing fraud for underserved consumers that often lack a traditional credit bureau score. This is an exciting opportunity in a fast paced organization where your contributions can have a meaningful impact on increasing access to Oportun’s affordable, credit building loan product for underserved consumers.
We are enhancing our fraud management capabilities that will allow Oportun to materially increase the percentage of loans originated via mobile devices. In this role you will be working with large and diverse data sets (i.e. data from dozens of sources including social, transactional, online, device, financial, and other alternative bureaus) and utilizing machine learning and statistical modeling to build scores and strategies for managing fraud. You will lead the design, development and execution of fraud that will deliver a great customer experience while keeping fraud losses manageable. You will work directly with our team of Engineers and Product Managers to implement the fraud strategies you design into our proprietary loan originations and fraud management platform.
- Lead development of fraud strategies, rules and predictive models to manage fraud and improve customer experience
- Discover insights from a myriad of data sources that can help predict fraud
- Develop new complex attributes to be used in the next generation of predictive fraud models by combining machine learning and business acumen
- Support digital marketing programs for consumers that lack a traditional bureau score
- Communicate concise requirements to the Engineering and Product teams to implement fraud strategies
- Develop reporting and analysis used to monitor fraud trends and to drive improvements in customer experience
- Occasionally support and lead ad-hoc analytical projects in credit risk and marketing