Boulder attorney reached Mount Everest summit, then died during descent

Boulder attorney Christopher Kulish achieved a life’s goal by climb the highest peak in each of the planet’s seven continents when he summited Mount Everest — and then died early this morning shortly later during his descent.

“He saw his last sunrise from the highest peak on Earth. At that instant, he became a member of the ‘7 Summit Club,’ having scaled the highest peak on each continent,” his brother, Mark Kulish of Denver, aforementioned in a news release on Monday.

“We are heartbroken at this news,” Mark Kulish wrote.

Kulish, who turned 62 in April, died early Monday morning at the next camp below the summit on the southeast ridge, his brother aforementioned. He had scaled the world’s highest peak in a small group in nearly ideal weather after last week’s crowds had cleared Everest, his brother aforementioned.

His death marked the eleventh fatality on Everest this season after a record 381 permits were issued to climb Everest, according to The Associated Press. Most are believed to have suffered from altitude sickness, which is caused by low amounts of O at high elevation and can cause headaches, vomit, shortness of breath and mental confusion.

A recent photograph showed a line of climbers attempting to stand at the summit in the area 26,200 feet above sea level called “the Death Zone.”

Gyanendra Shrestha, a liaison officer at the Everest base camp, told The Himalayan Times that climbers who reached above Camp IV complained of waiting for more than two hours on Wednesday in bottleneck lines on their way to the summit, the AP story says.

Mark Kulish aforementioned his brother was an attorney in his “day job.”

“He was an confirmed climber of peaks in Colorado, the West and the world over. He passed away doing what he loved…” Mark Kulish aforementioned.

Christopher Kulish has been mountain climb for 50 years, his brother aforementioned.

He is survived by his mother, Betty (“Timmie”) Kulish, a jr. sister, Claudia, and Mark, his jr. brother.

Kulish traveled to Nepal and arrived at base camp seven weeks before the climb to get acclimated to the altitude, his brother aforementioned.

An initial assessment is that Kulish died of internal organ arrest and not of altitude sickness like most of the other people who died this climb season, Mark Kulish aforementioned.

Related Articles

  • Sherpa climber scales Mount Everest for record 23rd time
  • What it’s like to do the Everest Base Camp trek