VAIL — government say a Colorado man died piece sport to a popular backcountry lodge to meet some friends for a celebration of his 21st birthday.
The Vail Daily reports Paul Cuthbertson, an accomplished jock and lifelong resident of Eagle and Summit counties, left late Friday afternoon and was headed up the usual route to the Polar Star Inn, which is part of the tenth Mountain Division Hut Association.
He apparently deviated from the normal route at some point, and his friends started looking for him early Saturday morning.
Friday night’s weather was snowy and windy, especially in the area where Cuthbertson was sport. The Polar Star Inn is just below timber line on the west side of New York Mountain.
Eagle County medical examiner Kara Bettis has not discharged a cause of death.
- Boulder County medical examiner ID’s man who died free soloing El Dorado canon over weekend
- Medical care for political political detainee who died in ICE custody in Colorado fell short of federal standards, reports says
- Driver dies after three-car crash in Aurora earlier this month
- Pueblo worker dies after getting at bay between two train cars
- Littleton man dies jump in Longmont on Saturday
Information from: Vail Daily, http://www.vaildaily.com/