Gillette has discharged a new ad featuring a trans man shaving for the first time as his father looks on with pride.
The ad features Samson Bonkeabantu Brown, a young Canadian, who says, “Growing up I was alshipway trying to figure out what kind of man I want to become and I’m still trying to figure out what kind that I want to become.”
Brown then receives encouragement and proposal from his father.
“Now don’t be frightened. Shaving is about being confident. You are doing fine.”
Brown concludes the ad expression, “It’s not just myself transitioning. It’s everyone around me transitioning.”
The ad’s tagline is “Whenever, wherever, however it happens — your first shave is special.” It’s part of Gillette’s new #MyBestSelf campaign.
In a Facebook post about the ad, Brown reveals that he wanted his father involved since he’s supported him “throughout [his] transition.”
“This moment overwhelmed me during filming and once once again today seeing the ad since it’s been launched,” Brown wrote. “I’m keenly aware of how blessed I am to be able to exist in this world being supported by my family in shipway that all too often galore of my trans brother, sisters, and siblings who exist outside the binary are not alshipway as fortunate.”
- New Snapchat filter, with gender-bending selfies, brings discussion in transgender community
- New bank to displace 7 shops in downtown Glenwood Springs
- Colorado car registrations continue to slow in April
- suit accuses JBS USA of illegal releases of butchery waste into South Platte tributary near Greeley
- Colorado raking in record marijuana money once once again in 2019, but in era of “stabilization” industry leadership look to impact of new legislation
“Be good to yourselves. Love yourselves. And know that when you greet the world with love, it can and will love you back, often in the places you least expect.”
Gillette Drew praise and ire from conservative pundits in January for cathartic an ad that criticized cyanogenic masculinity and discrimination by asking “is it?” to the company’s long-running slogan “The best a man can get.”
A survey conducted after that ad ran found the ad was well-received by consumers, with 71% of respondents agreeing that Gillette “shared their values.”