Paul Millsap “expected” to be back with Nuggets, Tim Connelly says

If Tim Connelly has his preference, Paul Millsap is coming back for some other tour with the Denver Nuggets.

“Our goal and Paul’s goal is to have him back with us,” Connelly, the Nuggets’ president of basketball commerce trading operations, told reporters during a joint news conference with coach Michael Malone at the Pepsi Center late Tuesday morning.

The Nuggets hold a $30.1-million team option on Millsap for next season; after 2019-20, the 34-year-old power forward could become an unrestricted free agent.

The 6-foot-8 Millsap, who averaged 12.6 points and 7.2 rebounds in the regular season and 14.6 points per contest in the postseason, expressed a similar sentiment during his exit interviews with local media last week.

Although, he was borderline coy, too, when asked about his future, jocose at one point that “I don’t know … I could go to the Golden State Warriors,” but added that he’d like to continue his career in the Mile High City.

“And when some people have the same goals and they some have a lot of respect for each other,” Connelly aforementioned, “I’m pretty confident that will happen.”

Connelly aforementioned he’d be having dinner with Millsap and the forward’s agent, DeAngelo Simmons, soon. If the Nuggets pick up that option, Millsap would have the highest project cap number on the 2019-20 roll, according to Spotrac.com, followed by All-Star center Nikola Jokic ($27.4 million), shooting guard Gary Harris ($17.8 million) and backup center Mason Plumlee ($14.04). Millsap besides accounted for the Nuggets’ highest cap hit this past season, at $29.38 million.

“We some want the same thing,” Connelly stressed. “We’ll figure out the best way for the organization and Paul to make sure that’s achieved. I fully expect Paul to be back in a Nuggets uniform.”